Australia’s two-Test series against B’desh postponed

Sydney, April 9 (IANS) Australias two-Test series against Bangladesh has been called off with an eye on the coronavirus outbreak. The matches which were to be played in Chattogram and Dhaka were part of the World Test Championship of the ICC. The series was to be played in June.

“Postponing the tour is regrettable, but I would like to thank the Bangladesh Cricket Board for the open, honest and responsible discussions that led us to this mutually-agreed position,” CA Chief Executive Kevin Roberts said.
“As we know, the global cricket calendar is very busy but we will do everything we can to honour our commitment to Bangladesh and will continue to work with the BCB on an agreed date.”
Australia’s Test skipper Tim Paine had earlier conceded “you don’t have to be Einstein” to realise June’s two-Test tour of Bangladesh is unlikely to proceed as scheduled.
“Some series have been cancelled and whether ones going forward are going to be continually cancelled or we’re going to postpone them (is uncertain).
“Maybe the players are going to have to go through a period where we play quite a bit of cricket if we want to complete the Test Championship as it is.
“You don’t have to be Einstein to realise (the Bangladesh tour) is probably unlikely to go ahead, particularly in June. Whether it’s cancelled or pushed back, we’re not quite sure at the moment,” he had said.
–IANS
bbh/