Delhi’s Maharaja Agrasen Hospital asked to shut OPD

Reading Time: 2 minutes

New Delhi, April 9 (IANS) The Maharaja Agrasen Hospital in West Punjabi Bagh here has been asked to shut its OPD and take steps to contain the spread of Covid-19 after eight positive cases were sourced from the hospital.

In an order issued on Wednesday, the District Disaster Management Authority said the authorities have decided that “containment measures are required to stop further spread of the disease”.
“At least eight cases of Covid-19 have emerged with their source being the Maharaja Agrasen Hospital, and immediate containment of its spread is required. It is directed to stop the OPD in the hospital from April 8 till further orders,” the order said.
In another order, the District Magistrate (West) has asked the CDMO (West) and DSO “to conduct medical test on all the patients/doctors/para-medical staff of Maharaja Agrasen Hospital, who were in close contacts with the deceased and submit the detailed reports at the earliest.”
The hospital told the media that it is passing through a very difficult phase, facing a lot of challenges.
Deepak Singla, Medical Director at the hospital, explained the spread of the virus and increase in number of cases in the hospital.
“Two patients were admitted on March 10 and March 13. They had symptoms of Meningitis and Hemiplegia and kidney disease. None of the patients was admitted as a Covid-19 suspect or a Covid-19 positive patient,” he said.
Singla said all throughout their stay, no doctor ever suspected Covid-19 as per the guidelines issued by the government.
“After 20 days, the first patient was shifted to the Ganga Ram Hospital where he was tested for Covid-19 because by March 30, all new admissions needing ventilator support were being tested for Covid-19.
“The report came positive and immediately after that, even before any government agency informed the Maharaja Agrasen Hospital, all necessary steps were taken by us as a responsible organisation. Rather, we informed the government within 15 minutes after we came to know about that patient,” Singla said.
He said all the staff members were quarantined and required testing were done.
“All the patients in that ICU were screened for Covid-19 and all results returned negative except the second patient, who was also admitted with us for the last 18-20 days with all non-Covid diseases,” he said.
Singla said that efforts were made to transfer this patient, but despite of the hectic efforts throughout the night, the patient could not be transferred and unfortunately he died.
“Again all necessary precautions were taken. The hospital management is getting all the necessary tests done from private labs at its own expense to help all our employees though the government has allowed testing from one of the government labs free of cost,” he added.
Singla also said that while the hospital is doing its best, everyone should understand that both the patients were admitted more than 18-20 days back with all together different symptoms.
The Delhi government had on Monday said that the hospital has been kept as a backup, in case Covid-19 cases increased.